Seed Capital Program
View SEED Loan Region in a larger map. In order to be eligible for a SEED Capital loan, your business start-up/expansion must be within the blue area to be eligible.
The Seed Capital Program offers up to $20,000 in low interest rate financing for business start-ups by entrepreneurs age 18 and up. Young entrepreneurs age 18-34 may also use the funds as a business growth loan. The program also allows each client to access up to a $2,000 grant for business training and consulting.
For 15 years CEED has assisted over 525 businesses in Halifax Dartmouth & Bedford via the Seed Capital Program. This program is also available in other urban areas of Atlantic Canada delivered by Enterprise Greater Moncton, Enterprise Saint John, Enterprise Fredericton and Metro Business Opportunities in St. Johns. Entrepreneurs in other areas of Atlantic Canada should contact their nearest CBDC- Community Business Development Corporation to access funding, training and consulting opportunities.
Other key features of the Seed Capital Program are as follows:
- The loans are personal loans. Loan recipients sign Promissory Note committing to loan repayment. Failure to repay will result in CEED initiating collection action
- Eligible business sectors-most are eligible, however multi-level marketing businesses are not eligible
- Debt refinancing, passenger vehicle purchases and real estate purchases are not eligible
- Full time businesses are eligible. Seasonal operations with be considered.
- No equity investment is required, however applicant investment is viewed favourably
- Equifax credit reports will be obtained on all loan applicants.
- Interest rate- fixed at time of approval –chartered bank prime +2%
- Repayment- 2-5 years depending upon amount borrowed – payments start in the month following loan disbursement
- Loan prepayment- The loan may be repaid without penalty at any time